Pinterest Kills. Or, at the very least, Sets Unrealistic Expectations.

Hey gang! Me again, with yet another repurposing story. This one is about the extreme caution that should always be taken with ... cue forboding music ... PINTEREST.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Pinterest and have the collection of mason jars and wood pallets to prove it. (Kinda wish I was kidding about that. But, seriously, the jars are everywhere.) What I have learned, dear readers, is that one must Pinterest with extreme caution. Why? Because after one long night scrolling, you could find yourself driving an hour away from your house to buy seven solid wood doors from a couple of hipsters renovating an old farm house into a contemporary oasis. 


Yep. 

I did that. All because I saw countless projects involving doors and I wanted to them ALLLLLLL. Little known fact for those of you that have never lifted an antique, solid wood door. Those buggers are HEAVY. Like, ugly grunting, risking a hernia, kind of heavy. Make note of that, it'll play into our story again later. 

Once I lugged all my magnificent treasures on to my deck, I scrubbed them down and decide what they would become. Oh, and I had wonderful ideas. Some good. Some grand. Some downright stupid. 

This first one sits in the corner of my bedroom and is utilized as a bookshelf. I love it, For reals. I used a sage green chalk paint, and antiquing glaze to achieve the paint color I was after that. Four free floating shelves purchased at Home Depot, helped complete the look. This one, in my opinion was a winner. 


This one was a little trickier. My darling husband had to be recruited to cut this bad boy right down the middle. (Because I can't cut a straight line with scissors, much less a power tool.) After that, we put hinges on one side, and added shelves to make this an adorable corner shelf for outdoor plants. I would count this one as a win to, if the detachable shelves didn't lead to me losing one when it was stored for winter. Permanently fixing those on may be an idea to improve on this design. 


The clouds parted and the angels sung. This door is by far my favorite, and the design looks way more complicated than it is. The bench was one we already had around the house. Reusing and repurposing what you have around the house is so beneficial in projects like this! Other than the paint and glaze, the only things I purchase were the shelf to go at the top, the coat hooks, and the accent pieces that help tie the bench and door together in a more fluid look. Little tip, the door being as heavy as it is, you will need to make sure you screw it the bench well, and may want to consider securing it to the wall, too. 

My final project was two doors I hinged together to make gorgeous privacy screens for my back deck, and ... oh, wait. Where's the picture?

XXX

Oh, that's right! There isn't one. Nor are those monstrous contraptions out at my house anymore. Why? Remember me mentioning they were heavy? Okay, times that by two. Now, imagine a really windy day, and those ginormous partitions of death scooting around with each gust. They DID fall over. It DID shake the entire house. Thankfully, no one was under them. In that moment, it became blaringly obvious that while Pinterest can be fun, not ALL the ideas there are good ones!

Pinterest with care. It could save lives. 

Comments

Popular Posts