Trash to treasure!

I can't be the only one that gets annoyed by the marketplace now on Facebook. I forever have alerts there, which my OCD DEMANDS I clear. And how do you do that? Clicking over to the marketplace, of course. I do it without paying much attention, just wanting that red alert notification gone. But, one day, I clicked over and the very first item that popped up was an antique military footlocker being sold for $20 or best offer. I had no idea how the marketplace worked, but could visualize how I would refinish that footlocker from the second I saw it. On a whim, I offered $15 and the deal was struck. I had myself a footlocker and a new project! 

The Finished Project! 




Here is our before look. 
For this project I used:
-Citi-Strip Wood Stripper
-Rust-Oleum Spray Primer
-Rust-Oleum Brushed Copper Spray Paint
-Deco Art Americaina Chalk Paint 



 

The locker was structurally sound, and needed no help in that depart. However, it had been painted. There was no telling if it was lead based paint, which meant all of that had to go. Call in the Citri-Strip! Lots of scrapping, sanding, and scrubbing later, I had a blank slate to begin the beautification process. Using 2x4s and wooden legs found at Home Depot, we made a base to raise the piece up off the floor. Constructing it early allowed me to paint it at the same time as the trunk so the coloring would match up. 


Trunk with base. 




Let the priming begin! Spray on primer over the trunk and base was followed by spray painting the hardware a copper color I just loved! 


Green inside added a fun pop of color to the locker! 


Time to add color! Because I used chalk paint, I sponged it on to get a nice, textured coverage. As the trim is a different color, this was a long, painstaking process. However, the end result is completely worth it! 

Here's a second look at that finished product! 





Comments

  1. I had a footlocker like this in my room all growing up, but lost it somewhere between college and adulthood. I'd love to find another one and refinish it. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts